Sunday, December 18, 2011

How to make your nasty UGGs like new

So after two years of faithful service, my poor UGGs were getting really nasty. They looked fine, but the inside was just disgusting.  I searched the web up and down and couldn't find anyone agreeing on the proper washing of the insides of the boots.  Come on web - don't fail me now - I just want to know how to clean the insides of my UGGs

Several sites said to use the washing machine.  Followed by comments that said not to use the washer.  I am not convinced that UGG goes around and tells people not to use the washing machine.  Just to make you buy new boots.  I can see not using the dryer but the washing machine made sense to me.

So I told myself - lets do this - and I tossed the boots in the washing machine on the hand wash setting.  When they were done, I took them out - and loosely stuffed the toes with paper towels.  I then propped the boots upside down on tall bottles on top of an armoire by a heater vent (not directly in front of the vent but by the vent).  After a day - I took the boots down - fluffed the insides of the boots with a towel - to kind of uncrush the fluffy stuff - and then lightly restuffed the toes and put the boots back on their bottles. 

During this entire process my husband is thinking I'm nuts.  I'm sure I am.  But I'm also cheap and can't bear to throw out these boots because they were a couple hundred bucks and they are made from real sheepskin.  I'm not crazy vegetarian like the girl child but if I can get these boots to last a couple more years, I'll be very happy.

The good news is that after two days of drying I put the boots on and they feel like new.  They are getting a run through with the suede conditioner and scotchguard, and we will be good to go.

SO if you are on the fence trying to decide if you are going to toss your boots or wash them - try washing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment